Title Graphic supplies: Be Happy by Sabrina’s Creations
There are so many reasons to love challenges:
- They push you creatively to try new techniques and styles.
- They help you use your digital stash.
- They nudge you to create a page on a topic that you might never have otherwise done.
- They’re a great way to get involved in the digital scrapbooking community.
- You can win prizes!
Let me show you a handful of pages that I’ve done for challenges and describe why I liked doing it:
CHALLENGE TO SCRAP A TOPIC
For this challenge at MyScrapbookArt, we were asked to create a page using a free kit (how cool is that?!) about music.
I made this page for a challenge at the Digi Dares to talk about health.
Why I Like Topic Challenges: It wouldn’t have occurred to me to scrap a page on these topics. More memories captured!
CHALLENGE TO SCRAP USING SPECIFIC COLOURS
For this challenge at Mscraps, we were asked to create a page using mostly green and white, with pops of red.
This page was made for a Sweet Shoppe challenge. It had to be entirely black and white, including the photos. A first for me!
Why I Like Colour Challenges: It may sound odd, but limiting the choice of items to work with actually makes me be more creative in using what I am allowed to use. It’s a great mental exercise!
CHALLENGE TO USE A PRODUCT
We were asked to use shape templates and clipping masks as feature items to create a page for this challenge at Sweet Shoppe Designs.
Why I Like Product Challenges: These challenges are great for helping me to see the potential of items I already have in my digital stash.
CHALLENGE TO SCRAP IN A CERTAIN WAY
For this challenge at the Sweet Shoppe, we had to scrap in 4 quadrants that were distinct, yet formed a cohesive layout.
Why I Like Challenges to Scrap in a Certain Way: These challenges really force me to think outside my comfort zone! I would never have created the above page without the challenge and I really like how it turned out.
CHALLENGE RELATED TO PHOTOGRAPHS:
We were challenged to use a single large photo for this challenge at Scrap Matters.
Why I Like Photo Challenges: I like photo-focussed pages so making one “the star” of the page really appeals to me.
CHALLENGE TO USE A TEMPLATE
For this challenge at Mscraps, we were provided with a template and asked to use it in any way we wanted.
Why I Like Template Challenges: Two words – free template! It is awesome to see the challenge gallery fill up with everybody’s take on the same template. They’re so versatile!
There is no shortage of scrapbooking challenges! Katie put together an awesome list of store challenges in February 2010, but I thought it would be good to update it. I quickly scanned a lot of store forums and found these challenges. The descriptions below don’t do them justice. The variety and quality of the challenges is amazing.
- Designer Digitals has challenges on their forums and challenges related to store events.
- Design House Digitals hosts challenges every month with great variety: design, scraplift, template (free!), journaling, photography, and more.
- The DigiChick has a challenge system where you earn points for participating. Challenges are around things like templates, themes, and Pinterest.
- Digital Design Essentials has challenges hosted on their blog. For prizes, they offer great coupons to the store. Some of the challenges are done using really neat looking templates.
- Gotta Pixel has daily challenges in categories like techniques and templates, and monthly challenges a wide variety of areas like fonts, all about me, scraplifting, word art and many more!
- Jessica Sprague hosts a variety of challenges in the forums – there’s also an archive of past challenges for more inspiration.
- The-Lilypad provides monthly challenges. They have challenges for templates (provided free), product challenges, scraplifting, journaling and more.
- Mscraps hosts monthly challenges in categories like All About Me, Journaling, Scraplift, Theme and more. They have a monthly template challenge where you get a free template.
- One Story Down hosts the Girl vs. Scrap challenge. The challenge runs for one month and combines a journaling prompt with some design element requirements. All participants in August 2012 win $5 to the shop.
- Oscraps has monthly challenges in different categories like Web Inspiration, Camera Challenge , Creative Techniques, Copycat Challenge, and Color Challenge. Some challenges have free templates. Participants track their pages for the chance to win coupons to the shop.
- Peppermint Creative has a monthly Pimp My Page challenge. The freebie templates are great!
- Pickleberry Pop has monthly challenges where you can win discounts to the shop.
- Scrapbookgraphics has monthly challenges posted to their forum, including a template challenge and font challenge.
- Scrapflower has challenges on its blog every Saturday. They have challenges around current trends, using certain items, and inspiration challenges.
- Scrap Matters has monthly challenges and speed scraps. In their monthly challenges, they provide an amazing list of 25 challenges to choose from. You win a discount to the store depending on the number of layouts you make.
- Scrap Orchard has daily challenges, monthly challenges and speed scraps.
- Scrap Take-Out offers monthly challenges like mini-kit and template challenges (both provided free) and challenges for scraplifting, colours, fonts and more.
- Shabby Pickle has a challenge forum that includes colour, scraplift and freebie challenges.
- Sweet Shoppe Designs hosts a monthly portfolio challenge where they issue many challenges and assign point values to each, depending on the difficulty. Participants receive a discount coupon the next month based on their point level. (I like to download the PDF of the challenges to keep for future inspiration too.)
- Zig Zag Scraps hosts challenges with categories like fonts, One Little Word, theme, template and more.
There are also some non-store sites that host challenges:
- The Digi Dares posts a new challenge every week and there is a selected winner and random winner each week. By participating you may win coupons to sponsoring designers’ stores.
- MyScrapbookArt hosts a monthly designer challenge on their Home Is Where the Art Is magazine. When you sign up for the newsletter you receive a free kit from the featured designer and a challenge on how to use it.
(And if that’s not enough challenges, check out the blogs of your favourite designers. Many of them host challenges too!)
THE DAILY DIGI IPHONE APP
For those of you with iPhones, Steph announced the new Daily Digi iPhone app a few weeks ago. It features a Challenge Me function. It will provide you with a challenge to create a page featuring a certain number of photos, papers, elements and more.
I know that I’ll go back to many of these challenges for inspiration in the future! What an awesome resource available to digital scrapbookers!
PS – The pages above are linked to their credits.