One of the things on my summer to-do list is plant a garden. I remember being little and helping my dad plant tomatoes and beans. I loved watching what we planted (and weeded!) finally come to life. I get excited when I hear people talk about their gardens and all the yummy things they make with it. I just have one problem. I know NOTHING about gardening. The idea sounds so fun but I really have no idea where to begin. So, the internet comes to my rescue — again. Here are some great sites that are going to help me jump in and plant a garden!
- This site, called SQUARE FOOT GARDENING, looks promising. I love that you can do this anywhere — even on an apartment rooftop! I also love the idea of small amounts of plants. I want to try a lot of little things rather than a lot of any one thing. The site has a ton of helpful information on getting started, what to plant and when, and making special soil mixtures.
- A friend told me that she knows a lot of people who plant SALSA GARDENS. I LOVE that idea. My husband loves fresh salsa and so I know we would get a lot of use out of all the fun (and spicy!) veggies that this would yield. Tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, garlic, peppers, herbs…YUMMY!
- This site is just what it sounds like it is: THE BASICS OF GARDENING
- I know it is too late for many of you US gals, but for me and my eternally perfect weather, I think I may plant a yummy strawberry garden.
- This site, THE BACKYARD GARDENING BLOG, has some great tips for all sorts of gardening questions and problems.
- If all else fails GARDENING FOR DUMMIES might be just what I need!
- And since on my biggest reason for wanting to do all this is because I think it is a great activity to do with my kids, THIS article is great source of inspiration! I loved watching and helping my dad and I want to carry on the tradition.
Have you planted a garden? If so, have any tips for me??