Check out this Cake Topper made with the Cricut Explore Silhouette!
My daughter, Amy, got married recently and over the past several months, I’ve been sharing news and wedding plan updates with the team here at The Daily Digi. I’ve even had a few wedding related layouts to share over the past few months, using the DigiFiles. After the wedding, I shared a quick 2×3 layout of some of the professional pictures that had already been on Facebook.
When I shared it, I noted that I had made the cake topper for their wedding cake from an engagement picture taken by the same photographer. Wendy asked if I would share the process of making it, so here we go!
The photographer, Joshua Ayres, had some wonderful silhouette shots since they started their engagement photo shoot at sunrise. This made my project very easy to do. I selected a picture that had a good silhouette of them both from the waist up.
Gorgeous! I opened the photo in PSE 13, (any editing program would work if you can save as a png file) duplicated it, and cropped so that basically just Amy and Cam were showing. I then used the magic wand tool to select the figures. When the marching ants appeared, I selected layer/new layer via copy.
I then hid the color copy and added a layer mask. I used a round hard black brush to clean out the bushes on the right and also the stray hairs on Amy. Then I added a black brush right on top and filled in some areas that I didn’t want the Cricut to cut out.
When I was happy with my work, I saved the file as a png. In retrospect, I would have smoothed Cam’s hair out a little. My Cricut cut it beautifully, but it really labored to do it. Next I opened Cricut Design Space (you can only do this type of project if you have a Cricut Explore) and uploaded my png file.
This opened a window where I uploaded my png file. It gives an option to clean it up, but I had already done that in PSE so I didn’t need to. I just chose simple image since I was working with black and white.
Then I clicked continue and added the png to my project. Make sure that you choose the option for cut rather than print then cut. Finally, I chose a couple of frames and welded all of the pieces together.
I cut out two layers so Amy could put the stick in the middle. It turned out to be a fantastic topper for their cake—one no one had ever seen before.
Incidentally, we used old atlases to make most of the flowers that were used for the bouquets, corsages, and other decorating. Some of these I also cut with my Cricut but Amy made hundreds of origami ones as well.
Of course, you wouldn’t have to make a cake topper. It would be great for cards or gifts as well. Hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did!