One year ago last month, I decided to take the December Daily challenge and document each day of December, on my phone. I called this challenge #DecemberSuccess and, for me, it was just that. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and how easy I found it, after wanting to fall into a puddle of tears at just the IDEA of it for years. I decided to carry the challenge on and document every day of 2015, on my phone.
With a move to a different state, a month of homelessness, and many other major life events, I did fall behind in March. But, I picked it back up in May, and was able to get all caught up.
I learned a lot about different apps and got into a really good routine. I figured out how to add videos to my pages via a QR code (all on my phone, no computer needed). I scrapped more than one vacation and was ready to print when I got home.
Technology has changed ALOT in just a year and I can now use any digital scrapbooking supplies I want to create journal cards OR a whole layout ON MY PHONE! But, technology isn’t the only thing that changed a lot in the past year. I changed a lot. This project changed me!! I am happy to say the my memory keeping and me will never be the same!
530 layouts!!!! FIVE HUNDRED THIRTY layouts!! That is actually an underestimate, because it only includes the Project Life layouts, none of the layouts created in other apps and none of the layouts that were deleted to make room on my phone (DecemberSuccess 2014, for example). Five hundred thirty layouts is probably more layouts than I created in my whole life as a scrapbooker before last year (and I’ve been a scrapbooker of some kind for at least 34 years).
I have created at least one layout for each and every day of my life since December 1, 2014. They are in depth, detailed, and full of my story (they include pictures of the kids schools, where I go walking each day, grocery shopping, my real life routines). They include the heartbreaks, the sadness, the illnesses, the happiness, the joy, the gratitude, the love, the challenges, and the PEOPLE that have made up my story over the past year (which is why I don’t share many of them online).
I am still not a perfect documenter. Sometimes, I forget to take pictures of really important events (something I am STILL working on and probably won’t ever perfect). But, I’m grateful for the memories I have documented and can look back on, even if it is without a photo. I am grateful that I didn’t let the fear of not being perfect in this challenge, stop me from trying. It was MY challenge, so I gave myself the freedom to make up the rules as I went along.
What you might be wondering
Will I keep doing this in 2016?
- Yes! I hope to keep it up for a long, long time! Bending, breaking, and changing the rules as I need to.
Have I printed all of the layouts?
- No. I have printed some. I hope to print most of them, slowly, over time. At .99 a page (8×8), I’m looking at $530 for printing, as it stands right now. That’s a hefty sum. If I keep scrapping at the same rate…yikes!
- Since my oldest daughter left on a mission for our church, in September, I do print out my daily layouts (on not very good paper at home) and snail mail them to her. This has become a highlight of her week and she thanks me for them often.
What apps am I using, has it changed?
- Yes, it’s changed from the very first post I did. You can read about the evolution in several of the Phonebooking posts. Since January 2015, the Project Life App has been my work horse. It really is what has made all of this possible. Sometimes, use other apps in conjunction with it. I often use other supplies (journal cards by my favorite digi designers) from outside the app (especially when I am doing an album/project of some kind or themed pages). My journaling however, is typically done on Project Life journal cards, purchased in the app, because it is just FAST that way!
Are all of the layouts Square?
- Nope. Some are rectangle too. Some are just a 4×6 with a photo and a journal card. Some are 6×12. Some are 6×8. All different sizes, really. Mostly, they are square and will be printed 8×8.
Do all of the layouts have a photo?
- Only one layout doesn’t have a photo and it is a 4×6 layout with one filler card and one journal card.
How long does each layout take you?
- Anywhere from one to ten MINUTES! It takes me longer if I’m adding a video via QR code (those are the slowest pages) and if I edit that video first in iMovie, then it has taken me about thirty minutes (to edit, upload, create the QR code, etc.)
Memory Keeping is AMAZING
Documenting memories is such a wonderful and rewarding hobby to have. It’s so amazing to be a memory keeper right now! Technology is changing so quickly and it is only becoming faster and easier to document our lives. I’m grateful to be a part of it. I’m grateful to have so many designers creating beautiful products that I can use to tell my story with. THIS is what I love to do. It’s part of my core. It IS what makes my heart sing and I can’t wait to do even more in 2016!
PS. Not having time is no longer an excuse! I KNOW you spend more than a few minutes a day waiting in line, waiting for kids, waiting to get sleepy, waiting for it to be morning, waiting for an appointment, etc.! That’s how I do almost all of my scrapbooking these days…while I’m waiting.