word art from The Daily Digi (see below) Kit is I Believe in Santa Claus by Tracey Howard
I (Katie) am sure many of you know the words to the famous Christmas carol of The Twelve Days of Christmas. In case you need a refresher, Big Picture Scrapbooking posted the words on their blog the other day. This song dates back to the 1600s, and has sparked a tradition that many people around the world follow each year of giving gifts to someone you love for 12 days before Christmas. The roots behind the Twelve Days of Christmas are both religious and cultural so they have various meanings. Traditionally the 12 days of Christmas are celebrated from December 26th through January 6th (Epiphany) in many parts of the world.
In the United States and in the digital scrapbooking community, the Twelve Days of Christmas are usually celebrated on the 12 calendar days leading up to Christmas. This means they usually start on either December 13th or 14th, depending on if you want the 12th day to fall on Christmas Eve or on the actual day of Christmas.
There are plenty of ways to have fun counting down to Christmas with a Twelve Days theme. Here are a few ideas from our team:
From Neenee: I am making 12 tags with journaling lines. Each day, one member of the family will be selected to journal on the tag about whatever the topic is on the back of the tag. They are topics like: what made them happy that day, what they are thankful for, what they are hoping to get for Christmas, what they love about Christmas, etc. Each one is totally different no two the same. These will be done the 12 days prior to Christmas. and then will go into my December Daily album.
From Katie: In years past, we have delivered anonymous gifts to friends or neighbors on each of the 12 days as an act of kindness. We chose to never reveal who was behind the gift giving, but many people enjoy telling the surprise when they deliver the final gift on the 12th day. Either way it is a very meaningful and special way to give someone a memorable holiday season.
From Steph: I am going to choose some things from squidoo.com (they have several ideas for each day) and try and make it something we can do or eat together as a family (like the Lord of the Dance video for the Lord’s a Leaping). I also am going to do one for our elderly neighbors across the street that are so nice to us. I will have the kids deliver it anonymously each night. I have some great memories of doing that exact thing when I was younger for elderly neighbors and would like to have my kids be able to experience the same thing.
It is a little tricky to find real turtle doves, geese, and leaping lords to give as gifts so here are some other fun suggestions from squidoo.com and About.com to give you some ideas based on the original lyrics. Or feel free to just make up your own poems each day, my family loves to do that!
Finally, don’t forget to visit these wonderful digital scrapbook designers and stores who offer great gifts to celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas!
- Weeds and Wildflowers annual 12 days of Christmas Quick Page giveaway December 13-24.
- Dani Mogstad’s team has an annual tradition of giveaways on her blog for the 12 days.
- Heather Roselli will be giving away a different item each of the 12 days. It will be a variety of things, word art, frame clusters, QP’s, templates, etc.
- Eva Kipler is giving away a quick page/template set each of the 12 days of Christmas.
- Kristin Aagard will be giving away a gift tag on her blog for each of the 12 days of Christmas.
- Miss Tina is doing a countdown on her website with free word art for the holidays.
- The Sweet Shoppe will be continuing their free cookie-a-day template giveaway throughout December.
- After Five Designs will be having a 12 days of Christmas sale December 13th – December 24th. a different sale each day
- The Digi Chick will be starting a 12 days of Christmas on the 14th of December.
- GottaPixel.net will have 12 days of Christmas Freebies.
- Scrapbook-Bytes will be having 12 days event starting on December 13th.
- The Scrap Orchard is having countdown to Christmas from December 1 until the 25th.
- Zig Zag Scraps will start a 12 days sale on December 13th 30% off & 3 daily $1 deals.
P.S. If you have young children they might enjoy following along with the 12 days of Christmas with these printable coloring sheets and flash cards to help them count down to Christmas.